Something I’ve realized recently is that I love sharing advice with my friends as well as receiving their advice. Because of this, I decided to start an “advice” tab on my blog and today’s topic is dating. I feel like I have learned so much in these last three months about dating that I had to share them with you! Here we go:
- Figure out what you want in a person: For this point I’m referring to the essential qualities that you want a person to have. For me, I love feeling inspired by people so I really want to date someone who is driven and admirable. I also need to date a person as ambitious as I am because I think we could push each other to be better.
- Don’t compare yourself: This is so difficult to not do. Remember, your significant other is dating you because they like YOU and you should feel a sense of confidence from that. Forget your boyfriend’s exes, they’re a part of the past. Also, remember every couple is different so don’t compare your relationship to your friends’ relationships.
- Relationships take work: They involve devoting your time to another human being and making sure that you all are happy together. One point of dating is literally testing your compatibility with another person.. which leads me to my next point.
- COMMUNICATION: This is so freaking important. If you don’t like something in your relationship, you can literally fix it by talking to your significant other about it. Resolving an issue in your relationship is basically like extending the life of your relationship. Communication gets easier with practice. I used to start shaking when I had to confront someone, but luckily got over that.
- Let the other person know what’s important to you: I would like my significant other to be my biggest supporter/cheerleader. For me, things that are extremely important to me that I would tell the person I’m dating are my career/ dreams, my two blogs, as well as how my content does on social media. I have also dreamed of living in New York City for so long so I would definitely let my future boyfriend know about that.
- Tell the other person things you appreciate about them: Never take things for granted. If your s/o does something nice for you, tell him you like how sweet he is. If he tells you something about himself and you love it, then tell him you feel lucky to be with him.
- Be true to yourself: 1) Know your limits 2) Don’t be with someone who makes you uncomfortable or puts you in uncomfortable situations
- NEVER SETTLE: Don’t lie to yourself. If a guy is missing a lot of qualities you want in a boyfriend, then don’t pretend like he’s what you’re looking for. Some people get scared & say “I just don’t think I’ll find someone else who ___”. But the truth is, there is someone out there that has what you’re looking for. You just have to be brave enough to let go of the people who are not right for you so you can find that ideal person.
- Don’t be afraid to say goodbye: If you’ve given your relationship your best shot and it’s just not what you want, then stop wasting both of your times and call it quits. It’s scary but can also be a relief!
- Do not forget about your friends: People I know disappear when they’re dating someone and it drives me crazy. YOU CAN HAVE TIME FOR FRIENDS AND A BOYFRIEND. I had a lot of friends graduating and moving away at the end of the year and I also happened to be dating someone then. I made a conscious effort to spend enough time with my friends and my boyfriend and I’m glad I did because a few months later my boyfriend and I broke up. If I hadn’t spent time with my friends due to a relationship before they moved away, I would’ve felt so guilty.
Wow this post was long but like I said, I’ve been learning so much about relationships recently! I hope you gained something from this post. Please leave your relationship advice below! As always, thanks for stopping by.