Not gonna lie, it’s pretty late right now (2:30am) and I just don’t feel ready to go to bed just yet. It’s been a long day and the main topic of the day has been a panic attack. I wasn’t the one having the panic attack; however, I’ve had one in the past and they’re not fun. Something people forget about panic attacks is that they’re paralyzing. When I had one, I couldn’t stop crying and felt like the world was swallowing me. Some people when they feel this overwhelmed also have difficulty breathing and the whole experience is just suffocating (no pun intended). I have a few tips I wanted to share on how to get yourself or a friend through a panic attack.
- Try not to be alone– It’s really easy to overthink things when you’re alone so my first tip is don’t be alone. Call your best friend or your parents or ask them to come over. Someone who cares about you will listen to what is stressing you out and help you get out of it. Also never estimate the power of a hug.
- Go through what is stressing you out one by one– One of the reasons I couldn’t calm myself down during my panic attack was because I was thinking of all of my stresses all at once and that was overwhelming. My dad sat me down and asked me what exactly was stressing me out. We went through each topic one by one and that way he could give me advice on each one or tell me why I shouldn’t stress about it.
- Crying is okay– Sometimes we just have to cry. If you’ve ever felt relieved after a good cry, then you know what I’m talking about. It’s a quick way to relieve stress.
- Know that you will get through this– I don’t care what your past looks like or how you’ve previously made decisions, you are strong enough to conquer a panic attack and the stresses you face. Remember this if you find yourself in the middle of a panic attack.
- Be proud of yourself– Getting through a panic attack is not easy. Looking back, I’m proud of myself for getting through it, being able to pick myself up, and go on with life. We should gain confidence from our experiences getting past stress so that we can continue getting past it in the future.
Wow, so yea although I love doing fashion and beauty posts, life just hits you in the face sometimes and I really wanted to write about it. I hope at least one of you find this helpful. Thanks for taking the time to read what I had to say!